Skip to main content

Sunshine Blog

So thanks to all the sunshine blog posts going around I was mentioned specifically by Will Gourley and Tanis Thiessen in their posts. Since I was away on vacation and did not respond with my own right away, most of my favourite bloggers have already been mentioned. Therefore, this post will be a modified sunshine blog post as I will just list blogs that I think should be mentioned, but have already been highlighted in other sunshine blog posts


Here is how it is supposed to work:
1. Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
3. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
4. List 11 bloggers. They should be bloggers you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)



Thanks again to Tanis and Will. It's been great connecting with them and reading their blogs. I've learned a ton in my short time here on twitter and I'm very grateful for it. Since I have two people who mentioned me, I'll try and answer both of their questions below!


Random Facts:


1. I love wearing hats, I even work in a school that allows me to wear my hat while I teach (Sorry proponents of the hat rule!)


2. I have two cats who I hang out with most of the time when I'm not teaching.


3. I'm getting married next summer to my partner who I've been with for 12 years! And yes, we were "high school sweethearts" (I hate that term)


4. Yes, my last name is actually Scratch. It was anglicized by my great-grandfather (I think) from Kratzen (German for Scratch)


5. I have an awesome beard and appreciate beards of all shapes and sizes (yes that is a humble brag).


6. When I was in my early twenties I had a professor tell me about all the books that have been banned by governments around the world. After that, I created a list of all these books and spent the next 3-4 years finding and reading those books.


7. I've lived in 4 different cities in Canada (Windsor, London, Halifax, and now Edmonton)


8. I've driven the entire Trans Canada Highway from coast to coast.


9. I work with at-risk youth in Inner City Edmonton and am a strong advocate of their rights that are often neglected.


10. I love Lord of the Rings more than anything. Every holiday season, my partner and I watch the entire extended edition trilogy. It's amazing!


11. My favourite styles of music are folk, punk, and hip hop!


Questions from Tanis:



1. First memory of school?


Playing football at recess with my friends!


2. One thing to keep about current education system?


We need to advocate to the value of a public education and how that will benefit all people within our society.


3. One thing to change about current education system?


The inequality that is perpetuated within it. Schools often perpetuate this inequality. We're making progress in ending this, but we still have a long way to go.


4. Favourite site or app





5. Student who shifted your thinking?


One student, we'll call him Charlie, opened my eyes to the impact of poverty on students. I could read about it all I want, but once I saw how the structural violence of poverty impacted students, I felt compelled to get involved beyond the classroom.


6. Leader who shifted your thinking?


This isn't a leader that I've actually met, but reading about Howard Zinn and how he tackled teaching history and teaching inspired me and gave me a model of what education could be.


7. Coffee, Tea, or water?


Coffee....all day!


8. Retirement Dream


To be able to say that I did what I could to make the education system and the world a little bit better of a place.


9. Next year dream?


I want to work with a student teacher to support more great teachers just getting started.


10. Why blog?


It's a great way to reflect on what we do as teachers. I don't feel that I have to be right when I write my blog. I just want to get my thoughts and feelings on the page so I can process what I know and don't know.


11. New year resolution?


Present at a conference.


Questions from Will:


1. If you could do anything knowing you would not fail what would you do? Why?


Learn how to rap! I love hip hop but have never dared to create my own. Would love to get rid of my inhibitions and give it a shot!


2. If you could have lunch with anyone living or deceased who would it be? Why?


Karl Marx for sure! I think he is the most interesting and eccentric philosopher of all time. It would be great to pick his brain!


3. What is your favourite childhood memory?


Christmas time with my family. Best memories by far!


4. What is the  nicest thing that a teacher ever did for you?


Allowed me to make mistakes without judging so I could find my own way!


5. What was the most unfair thing that a teacher ever did to you?


Practicum teacher tried to mold me in her image. It was a very authoritarian approach to teaching that I disagreed with. I was berated , evaluated in front of peers, and that experience almost made me quit teaching.


6. If you could teach anywhere in the world, where would it be? Why?


I'd love to teach anywhere in England. Probably due to the fact that there would be lots of quaint pubs I could go to afterwards!


7. Have you ever taught a lesson using a Simpsons episode?


Not an entire episode, but definitely played the "sock a few dingers" clip when talking about media and propaganda.


8. If you could, would you extend the school day or year? Why? Why not?


It pains me to say this, but I would probably break up the summer vacation into two week segments throughout the school year instead of doing it all at once. I see students have major gaps from not having any school for two months. In my context of teaching, it is really difficult to overcome.


9. What is your ultimate vacation destination?


I'll just go with England again, mainly for the pubs!


10. What are you reading right now?


The Hobbit (Lord of the Rings nerd)


11. What do you think is the greatest invention ever made?


The printing press. The sharing and spread of ideas has undoubtedly made the world a little bit better.


My Nominees that you should definitely check out!


for the love of learning by Joe Bower: http://www.joebower.org/


Where The Blog Has No Name by E Wayne Ross: http://blogs.ubc.ca/ross/tag/critical-pedagogy/


Thielmann's Blog Cabin by Glen Thielmann: http://thielmann.blogspot.ca/


Zero-Knowledge Proofs by John Scammell: http://thescamdog.wordpress.com/


Inscho in School by Jeremy Inscho: http://inschoinschool.wordpress.com/


Where are the sheep by Robert Genaille  http://wherearethesheep.blogspot.ca/


I’ll be adding more to this list on my blog site under the page “Teacher/Education Blogs”

Thanks for reading!

Comments